Okay, so we know a lot of you have bought, or received, a new sewing machine or accessories recently and with some of you being new to this whole sewing world we thought we’d write a little practical guide to using your sewing machine in a really fun and simple way.
In the past 3 months we’ve had the fun and excitement of selling our Oekaki machines in the UK, and now we want to make sure you are all feeling comfortable using them. For all those who are new to sewing, or the free-motion way of sewing, we’d like to just give you some encouraging and motivating pointers …
- Enjoy what you make & enjoy what people say – always try & be positive & accept compliments
- Take some time to watch your Oekaki DVD – if it’s helpful you may benefit from watching it a few times
- Don’t overcomplicate things, just learn the basics andthe rest will come
- Give yourself time to set up and pack down properly without rushing or stressing
- It’s good to trial and error – if something works stick at it & if it doesn’t try a different way until you find what works for you
- Don’t feel like you have to set yourself a project immediately to get started on – you can literally pick up some scrap fabric, have some fun, get to know your machine and how it works
- Use the start-up pack, we’ve put it together especially for you; this includes the guide lines, thread, fabrics etc 🙂
- Don’t try and do it all at once, just take it one step at a time – it’s pretty impossible to learn everything in one go and you’d be too exhausted to concentrate on any sewing anyway
- Know anyone who sews…great!! Invite them over to show you the basics
- If not, don’t worry – take advantage of us being here to help you, got a question why not ask us
- Oh, and one last but important thing…sign up for your FREE hoop, it really is free!!
We really do love hearing from you and about your Oekaki journey, remember we’re all in this together (wow that sounds very High School Musical).
It’s a pleasure for us when you share with us your Oekaki cycle, from the moment you place your order and receive your machine, to setting it up and trying it for the first time through to the wonderful projects you start creating. Before we know it you’re watching as other people order and open theirs and sharing with them your tips & advice . So remember to visit our Facebook and Twitter pages to show off and share your skills!!