Dazzle your guests with an Oekaki-made set of snowflake placemats!
Use your Oekaki plus acrylic paints to create a set of snowflake placemats, perfect to adorn your Christmas table.
What you’ll need
- Calico (Medium weight)
- Old item of clothing (or 2nd piece of calico)
- Sewing machine and thread
- Craft knife
- Cutting Mat
- Embroidery thread
1. Cut 2 25cm squares 1 of calico and the other of reused/recycled item
2. Freehand draw the snowflakes on calico using pencil lightly
3. Paint the flakes using acrylic paints using a fine brush wait to dry then lightly paint the background
4. Using sewing machine outline some of the snowflakes using the sewing machine in freehand embroidery
5. Hand embroider or use Oekaki function on one snowflake to highlight in embroidery thread. (Stitches used are french knots and backstitching).
6. Make a few snowflake stencils to use with your paint
7. Print snowflakes over the designs
8. Iron your pieces. Ironing is so important to make nice, neat items!
9. Sew sequins onto the snowflakes using the sewing machine with the freehand Oekaki function
10. Place the two pieces of fabric right sides together and sew around leaving a 5cm gap to turn
11. Clip the corners to get a clean corner when turned
12. Turn the right way round like a pillowcase
14. Topstitch border around the outside to lay flat
Your piece is complete! Have a look at the Oekaki function in action on the snowflakes